Tuesday 28 April 2020

Berdan's Sharp Shooters

The silver lining to the Great Confinement is that I've had a little more time to catch up on some smaller projects that had just never seemed to get done before. One of these was the re-basing of a unit of Dixon ACW 25mm Berdan's Sharp Shooters that I had bought secondhand off one of the other Southern Strategists. This unit had seen a bit of action in the past and needed a bit of tarting up, plus re-basing. The tone of green used by the original painter is a bit duller than I would have used myself, but this didn't concern me enough to re-paint them. With the re-basing done and a few painting 'touch ups' these blokes are ready to take on the rebels.
I intend using these guys primarily as skirmishers in extended formation, which historically was their role when they were formed and which they performed exceedingly well as. However, I can also use them as a formed line unit if required.  


These figures came with squirrel tails attached to their kepis, which was a common practice for a small number of Union regiments, the most notable coming from Pennsylvania. I don't think Berdan's 1st US Sharp Shooters followed this practice, but it would appear they now do in my miniature Union army.
 Until next time!   

2 comments:

  1. Very nice they look too...I am sure one of our group has or had these self same Dixon figures in their ACW collection....nice to have something other than blue and grey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see you getting your ACW troops sorted mate.
    We are well overdue an ACW game.

    ReplyDelete