Sunday 20 September 2020

 After a month or two of intermittent painting I am pleased to introduce the 1st battalion of the Regiment de Guyenne as the latest infantry unit to join my SYW/ FIW French army. The Front Rank figures were easy to paint and a splash of Citadel Fleshshade gives some definition to the faces. The flags are from GMB Flags.


.
The sergeant on the right pointing at the enemy is one of my favourite poses in the French SYW range

The royal livery of the drummers isn't quite right, but it was easier to leave some lace off 




Note the grenadiers with moustaches on the left. I had to order these separately as they are not included in the battalion packs

The colour I used for the coats was Vallejo Game Color Ghost Grey and I think it's not a bad representation of what I think the regular French infantry coats may have looked like. I'm sure others may disagree, but I'm happy with it.

  I have another French infantry unit undercoated and ready for some colour. It will probably represent the Dauphin's regiment as it's regimental standard is superb. At this stage all of my regiments are only represented with one battalion, but my thinking is to include two or three regiments having two battalions and having them fighting together, as was historically correct for campaigns in the European theatre. Anyway, it's back to the painting table while my painting 'mojo' hasn't run out.

Thanks for taking a look.

Until next time!  

5 comments:

  1. Nice unit Stacky and the GMB Flags really set it off. I've just started on some British and French SYW units myself - not quite up to your standard. Cheers Greg (Delta Coy Blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done. You're right, the French flags are often quite spectacular. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice work on these Front Rank figures - still one of my favourite ranges to paint - I have exactly (or very similar) sergeant pose but in a British uniform - and I agree, its a great figure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent work - and I think that uniform colour is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The flags aren't the right way around, but I've explained the reason for that before. However, I'm happy with the grey white of the coats as a shade that may be close to being historically correct. Even if the coats were originally white when new, as some claim, then I figure over time the white would have turned to a shade of grey through the dirt on active service...just like white shirts tend to do with age. I have some French line cavalry that will get the same makeover.

    ReplyDelete