Thursday 26 April 2018

SYW British and French mortars in 28 mm

The latest additions to my SYW/ F&IW/ '45 British and French forces are the two mortar stands featured below. A while ago I had been given some second-hand old-style Front Rank British figures  that I have repainted and used on the stand. They had previously been painted up as Bavarians. The mortars and the French crews are recent Front Rank purchases to ensure my miniature forces had the ability to be effective in siege situations....plus they provide something a bit unusual to the wargames table. I had also been given some old 18th century Front Rank cannons in various states of repair, so decided to use one I repainted to add to my French force.           
The purists will note that my French artillerymen have white lace on their hats instead of the usual yellow/ gold coloured lace. This is because the first stands I painted up where colonial artillery for fighting in New France and I've just carried this on.

As Front Rank don't produce a French artillery officer with a telescope I decided to use an old Front Rank British artillery officer here. Hence having to paint the sash white. Unlike the British officers, regimental level French officers didn't wear sashes. 



I've used an etched piece of Balsa wood as a base for the mortar




I used a recycled cannon to provide an extra artillery stand for my French force. 



 
Until next time!

4 comments:

  1. These look wonderful mate. We just need to find a good set of rules and it will be all on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Mark. Did you ever get your Franco-Prussian War book published?

      Delete
  3. Wonderful job, beautiful colors sir, congrats!

    ReplyDelete